About Me ...

My photo
Chennai, TN, India
I am a Software Engineer since Aug 2004. Master of own space, Fun loving but within a limit, hate pulling other's leg, twinkling brain thinking of surroundings, blend of culture and sanskar, priest of music, always ready with a helping hand and a smiling face, Mr Attitude for people who deserve it, but a true and great friend for my friends ...

Friday, May 11, 2007

Orkutting ...

"ORKUT" - Everybody knows of it. I see lot of young people being member of this network. The popularity of ORKUT is growing by leaps and bounds !!! It was just 1 year back, when I started accessing Orkut (Orkutting); then I was thinking it was some kind of spam killing time.... Then I registered onto Orkut after repeated requestes from my friends, who had become quite a fan of Orkut by then. Well, the requests were sentimental, that dragged me to this ocean....

Few months back, I got a mail, where I discovered that ORKUT BUYUKKOTEN is the guy who started this site/software to find his lost girl-friend. And he is paid hefty sum by Google (Owning ORKUT site now) for the things we do like scrapping. He is expected to be the richest person by 2009. This Software made a whopping 1 billion dollars profit in its first year, which we today know as ORKUT.

As far as using Orkut goes, simple... Send a request to your friends; they will be there in your friend list, once they accept it. Lots of logic went then: Put your photo so that a old to old friend can see you and try guessing you as his/her friend; Write your name so that an old friend can search by your name (If he/she remembers) and add you. By that, you will be in touch with them. It becomes an addiction, before you know of it or realize so !!!

Same thing happened to me too. Wow, it felt good to see the friend count and fan count increasing day by day. Thought, Wow, I have these many fans and these many friends. Thanks to Orkut, by that, I got some of my old friends back, which I would not have otherwise. I became a victim to this too.. all became well being able to stay touched with long lost friends...And finding out what's going on in their lives… These days, there is hardly anyone who is not connected through orkut… so its all well intended !!!

But everything comes with its disadvantages … cann't help it much…So as ORKUT ...

Slowly it is becoming nuisance .. Getting friend requests from "Anonymous" users who want “to become friendship” with you, can get as irritating as anything else! Over and beyond that, when all start scrapping you to say “hi” and “how are you? Can I know you!”, you really dont want any of that. Some of the scrap books became "dating site" !!! It became quite an effort to search for genuine scraps from friends from a sea of “Hi How are you?", "Wanna friendship with you”, “Waz up there?”, “Helllo how r u ?" !!!

Orkut became a nuisance and is misused to quite an extent. It is no longer meant for communicating with friends, but creating fake profiles of others and causing them trouble. Few months before, it even came to public notice and police took some action on the victims. The Cyber Crime Cell has urged Google to block the links of its popular community portal, Orkut, to India. The action was a result of the derogatory profiles of Chhatrapati Shivaji and Bal Thackeray put up at the site by mischief mongers.

Well, things seem to be improving these days .. Orkut is adding some more features to prevent mis-use of this. Only time can tell, how far it is true and How we can take benefit of this .....

No comments: